Thursday, September 6, 2012

La Mere Brazier - a culinary institution in the heart of Lyon

Lyon has the best restaurants in the world.  It's the home of gourmet legend, chef Paul Bocuse and his legendary school, the Institut Paul Bocuse, alma mater of many Michelin star chefs the world over.

So since I consider Lyon my second home, I thought it was just right that I sample Lyonnais cuisine and have lunch at the place that started it all--La Mere Brazier, the restaurant where Paul Bocuse began his culinary training.


The place was opened by Eugenie Brazier in 1921 and was awarded three Michelin stars in 1933. Now it is helmed by chef Mathieu Viannay who has two Michelin stars notched on his belt. He was nice enough to pose for a picture for me.


The restaurant's interiors are really sophisticated yet traditionally French.



 Breadsticks before we begin a meal.



The amuse bouche



My appetizer, cannelloni de gambas et legume croquants au gingembre et citron verte (what a mouthful, literally and figuratively!).



My main course, paleron de boeuf rossini, carottes multicolores.



Fromage affines.


Macaroons and chocolates.



And my dessert, parfait a la chartreuse verte.









Candy, nougat and marshmallows after dessert.


The menu de saison costs 67 euros but it's so worth it. Best lunch I've ever had!


No comments: