Wednesday, August 26, 2009

loved the locations not the reflections



Much have been said about this book.  After all, it's been #1 at the New York Times bestseller list for a year with five million copies in print and reviewed to death by critics, newspapers, book associations, bloggers, my best friend, my neighbor and almost everyone who can read. 

But I'm not going to talk about Ms. Gilbert's musings, her reflections and feelings about finding herself (not my cup of tea).  I want to focus on the places she visited.  I drooled over the way she described the food in Italy, especially the pizza in Naples (supposedly the best in the world...must go there) and the pasta in Sicily.  She also gave a lot of indications what to eat where.

The medicinal food Wayan prepared in Ubud seemed savoury.  I want to go to her shop and have those, too. And lastly, the island in Lombok, where Ms. Gilbert traveled with Felipe seemed like such a romantic place. I'm already bugging my husband to take me there. 

I'm not the mushy, romantic, reflective type so good thing the book featured wonderful locations.  Otherwise, I would have gotten bored with Ms. Gilbert's musings and whining.  I see it more of a travelogue than an autobiography and worth a read. Thanks to my friend, Sheila for giving me the book.   


 

No comments: