Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Crazy Jakarta

I was in Jakarta tagging along on my husband's business trip thinking of having a relaxing week of sleeping in, going to the spa and going for an E True Hollywood Stories marathon. Little did I know that I would witness an earthquake shaking up the already chaotic city on the 2nd of September. It registered at 7.0 on the richter scale with an epicenter 242 km away from Jakarta which makes it quite strong. 

The quake struck at exactly 3pm, Indonesia time. I know this because my facial appointment was at 3 and I just got into the treatment room when the world started shaking. Small fountains in the spa were spilling out water, people were screaming and running for the emergency exit. It is quite hard to go down the stairs when everything else is shaking and people are pushing you. But, thankfully, I survived. And cancelled my facial. I figured that fate did not want me to have a facial on this trip. My husband is OK, otherwise I'd be freaking out and won't be writing this blog.

Now for the damage. I don't think there are any damages reported yet but our hotel suffered a long crack in the lobby wall.  


I hope it's not a sign that there's some big damage going on underneath.  I like our hotel because the people are so nice so hopefully it will be repaired soon and there won't be any more damage afterwards (well at least not before we get out of here). The name of the hotel is Manhattan Hotel.  I think it's a great hotel situated in the middle of Jakarta but low key enough not to be targeted by suicide bombers (well, you have to think about that when you go to Jakarta, right).  Service is excellent. 

Anyway, after the earthquake, everyone in Jakarta decided to go home, thus the traffic

I'm just thankful that my husband and I are alright.  Now I can't wait to get out of here.

No comments: